Tuesday, April 9, 2013

6th Grade: Native American & Aboriginal Art

Argh!  Where is the school year going?  This is the last week of the 3rd quarter...that means 10 weeks left!  And, I have approximately 6 weeks until my art show!  Eek!

If you haven't already checked out my pages from my first two art shows (2011 and 2012), please do so!  Every year I try to do a theme, and this year's theme is nature.  Generally what I do is keep all of the projects that fit under that theme.  We take one day to sign the fronts of our artworks and glue them onto black construction paper for a frame (if they need it).  Then, I pick 1-2 pieces from each student's stack that are their best works to hang.

I always end up having trouble with one grade level having enough artworks to fit my theme...and this year it is 6th grade!  Plus, it's taking a lot longer to get through my units than I thought it would...so I think I'm going to have to combine my Native American unit and my Aboriginal unit into one "natives" unit.  I think it might actually be a smart idea to do this because then we can compare and contrast the indigenous cultures of western and eastern world.

I've got to rework my note packets and create one that has simple notes (or maybe not do notes at all for this unit??)  I plan on doing my Native American animal spirit linocut project (which will incorporate a self-portrait in the form of an animal and the incorporation of line as texture) and I want to do fixed sand paintings based on the Aboriginal culture and symbolism.  (I did a sand painting project with a Studio Art class when I did my student teaching.)  Here are some of the past projects...once we finish up the Greek unit (hopefully by the end of the week!) I'll keep you updated on my indigenous cultures unit!





Last years linocut project was not specifically the Native American animal spirit one...but it was similar.  For these particular prints, I had asked students to depict something from nature.  They had to try and show 2-3 different types of texture using line.  


The following sand paintings were done by a Studio Art class.  We used Masonite board that was primed with gesso and sanded.  They drew their design on with pencil and Sharpie.  Then, one color at a time, they painted on Elmer's glue and sifted the colored sand onto the glue.  When I did this at the time, my cooperating teacher didn't have sand.  I went to a local pet store and asked for a donation of fish tank sand.  I used powdered tempera to color the sand, which worked really well (but also stained hands like paint).  This year, however, I have TONS of pre-colored sand so this process will be much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment