Sunday, December 16, 2012

6th Grade: Ancient Egypt Unit

Two weeks ago I started the Ancient Egypt unit with my 6th graders.  As of right now, we are three days into it.  On the first day, we filled out the first three pages in the note packet, which consisted of notes about hieroglyphics, the Rosetta Stone, and the evolution of the pyramid.

For the first project, students are making paper sculptures of a pyramid.  On the outside they must make it look like a pyramid (we'll even add some real sand texture when finished) and on the inside, they must have the following: (1)a diagram of the rooms inside the pyramid, (2) hieroglyphics and (3) tomb paintings.   When we are finished, I'll give them a little bit of velcro for the flap to close and open the pyramid sculpture easily.

The 6th grade actually just started learning about Ancient Egypt in class too, so this was perfect timing!  I love it when things in art class match what they are doing in social studies...especially when I see the light bulb go off in their heads!

To do these pyramid sculptures, I had them trace a pattern I made, cut it and fold it along the lines.  I made my own pattern out of 18"x12" card stock.  I simply printed off a triangle from Microsoft Office and pieces it together to make my own pattern.  You can find a smaller version for 8 1/2"x11" paper on The SmART Teacher (which is, by the way, my new addiction!).  This pattern differs a little from mine as I don't have a bottom piece for our pyramids.

More pictures to come upon completion!

I showed students the rubric before having them complete these...in my rubric it does say that to receive a 4 in some categories, you should use a ruler...hmmmm...













No comments:

Post a Comment